Welcome to the My Diabetes My Way Newsletter for December 2017.
Preparing for the Festive Period
As common illness can affect your diabetes control you should prepare for the festive break and plan to manage your health. During the holidays you are more likely to be at risk of colds and flu, sickness bugs, food poisoning and - during the festivities - indigestion and hangovers may also be experienced. Keep yourself safe by being prepared:
- If you are taking medication make sure you have enough supplies to last over the holiday period
- If you’re going away for a few days or a few weeks, make sure you’ve got enough medications and equipment to last you
- If you are blood glucose (BG) or blood ketone monitoring, make sure you have enough test strips and lancets
- The accuracy of BG meters and test strips can be affected by the cold. Avoid leaving in cars or unheated rooms. Store at room temperature
- Speak to your diabetes team about sick day rules in advance
- Keep well hydrated
- Seek advice from NHS 24 if your condition deteriorates or worsens despite using your sick day rules.
Some useful links:https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/about-us/our-campaigns/www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/have-a-healthier-christmas-
Sick Day Rules for Type 1 Diabetes: www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/resources/leaflets/SickDayRulesForType1.asp
Sick Day Rules for Type 2 Diabetes: www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/resources/leaflets/SickDayRulesForType2.asp
And most importantly, enjoy yourself while staying safe.
New Look for My Diabetes My Way
As we mentioned in last month’s newsletter, My Diabetes My Way is currently undergoing significant update. We have redesigned the website to make it more accessible and usable on mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, etc) and to make it easier for you to find the information you need to manage your diabetes.
We are interested in hearing your views on this update and you can view some example screens at the following link:www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/news/newsdetail.asp?94
We aim to launch the new look during the first few weeks of 2018. In the meantime, please feel free to send us your comments and feedback, either using the comments link on the website, or by emailing us at email@example.com
Festive Period Support
My Diabetes My Way and myaccount will have limited support cover until Wednesday 3rd January. We ask you to please bear with us during this time and we will respond to any emails and feedback as soon as we can on our return.
Thank you for your continued support.
The mydiabetes*myway team